Parish of Fortingall

Sometime between 1842 and 1846 Alexander left Breadalbane and moved his family to Glenlyon, in the Parish of Fortingall, to work on the Chesthill estate. Alexander's sister, Margaret, was already working in Chesthill House as a housekeeper.

He and his family lived first at Woodend and then at Culdaremore. Culdaremore is just north of bridge of Lyon and Woodend less than a mile up the glen.

The Rev. Robert MacDonald, in The New Statistical Account in 1838, gives a very good description of life in this parish shortly before Alexander and Mary moved to it. Did he earn the usual 1/- a day while working for the Chesthill estate and living at Woodend before taking on the tenancy of Culdaremore to feed his growing family?

Several of Alexander's family remained in the parish but today there are no Fishers living permanently in the area.

The village of Fortingall as we see it today is largely the work of Sir Donald Currie. A 1907 article in the Courier gives some history of Donald Currie's acquisitions in the area and of his factor Col. Munro who built Torr Hill.

Page last updated - 22/12/15