From 1878 to 1881 James Fisher rented a shop on the south side of Dunkeld Street by the entrance to the station yard. The building was owned by a family of Stewarts and included a house, outhouses and two shops. The house was occupied by the Stewarts.
His shop was on the site of the first building on the left in the photograph (right) taken around 1870. The old buildings on this side of the street were erected around 1810. Dr Mackay described Dunkeld Street at that time as 'presenting a picture dreary and dismal in the extreme with houses making no pretensions to architectural elegance, pavements conspicuous by their absence and the road surface dirty and uncared for. Pigs and ducks used to walk all the way up Dunkeld Street and there were no proper drains, the surface being cleaned mostly when the rain came'.
It is not certain whether James' shop was in the old building or the new building in the picture (left) which was originally named Stewart's Place but today is 'Station House'. Valuation roles suggest that this building was erected around 1872 so we must assume that it housed his shop
Police reports show that James had a stormy relationship with the Stewarts and this must have at least contributed to him seeking alternative premises.
In 1882, James signed the lease for a newly built shop with house above and moved his business to the other side of the street and his family from Burnside. The annual rent was £42. The valuation rolls for 1885-6 reveal that the 'proprietor' of the house and shop was Duncan Macdonald, both 'innkeeper' of the Station Hotel next door and farmer of Borlick.
In the photograph (right) taken in 1896 the boy on the left is looking into James' old shop which was still a grocer's shop but now occupied by Charles Munro. The handcart further up the street is outside his new shop.
The building on the north side of Dunkeld Street, dated 1881, from which James Fisher plied his trade for nearly thirty years is now part of the Breadalbane bakery and Tea Room (left). His shop occupied the left half and he was probably its first tenant. Duncan Ritchie a cabinet maker, had the shop next door between him and the Breadalbane hotel.
The family lived in the house above the shop from where James traded as a licensed grocer, seed merchant and ironmonger.
In 1910 James purchased Novar and in 1911 an advert was placed in the Scotsman offering the accommodation for let and the grocery business for sale.
Page last updated - 5/3/17