Duallin- 'The Black Meadow'
By the 1841 census Alexander Fisher and Mary McLean were in Duallin on the east side of the Lawers Burn. Their fourth child, Donald, was baptised there in 1842.
Alexander was unemployed.
It is dificult to say which of the building on the Duallin farm they occupied. There are two options:
1. The current farmhouse, next to the road, which was present on the 1st / 1867 edition of the OS 25 inch map. It is not clear when this was built but it was certainly not present in 1769.
2. A farmstead south of the current farm shown on John Farquharson's 1769 Survey of the North Side of Loch Tay (left) and the 1867 OS 25 inch map. This was mostly derelict by 1867 - see photograph below of these ruins with the current farm buildings in the distance..
The census record shows 21 people in Duallan suggesting that at least some of the old farmsteads were still functioning. There were three separate households:
1. 80yr old farmer Peter Campbell with his 70 year old wife and Mungo 38, John 14 and Janet 18. They also had two Robertson children with them - Fanny 9 and Peter 7.
2. Alexander Fisher of Independent means with his wife Mary and children Janet 1 year and Robert 6 months. 15 year old Janet, presumably Alexander's youngest sister, was with them. Thier eldest son Peter was with his grandparents, Peter and Janet McLean, in Borlick
3. 52 year old farmer John McDiarmid with Isabella 40, Janet 11, Jane 8, John 5 and Margaret 2. Living with them were Donald McEwen 21 and Colin McAndrew 18.