Croftnamuick 'Croft of the pig or wild boar'
Alexander Fisher and Isabel MacDougall gave 'Croftnamuick' as their address when their first three children were baptized in the parish of Kenmore between 1760 and 1765.
It lay on the southern shore of loch Tay close to the modern village of Acharn, north of Remony farm and immediately to the west of the fish farm. The panorama above, taken a few yards east of the bridge over the Remony burn looking east towards the fish farm, shows the fields on both sides of the road that once made up the croft. No trace of its buildings remain. On the OS maps, the rising ground on the right is labelled Tom Choiripidh - 'Wicked Knoll'.
It had disappeared by the time of the 1862 ordinance survey but is shown on McArthur's plan of 1769, where it is outlined in yellow (right). The water course which separated it from the Remony croftland / infield is still present although covered over in the south side of the road (Walkmill croft was part of Remony).
This croft was tiny. McArthur's report showed it to be less than 2 acres - the column for each is headed A, R and F. A = acre. R = rood (quarter of an acre). F = fall (fortieth of a rood or 38.125 sq. yards). It supported 1 soul and 1 cow only.
For more on the farms of the 18th century see Acharn.
Alexander was a ground officer whose remuneration was 6 and a half bolls of meal per year so a large farm was not needed. Margaret McArthur explains why crofts tended to be occupied by someone with another occupation, particularly when married and with a family.
Sometime around 1765, Alexander 'was removed from his Office and the Country' (see Alexander's removals). He was not allowed to return for about 12 years . Deprived of his allowance of meal, his wife Isabel was 'given possession of half a plough at Aleckach for supporting herself and infant children'.
John Campbell was the tenant when McArthur surveyed the area in 1769.
Page last updated - 17/8/15