What is now Coshieville Guest House started life as a barracks for General Wade’s soldiers when his road was being built from the Tay Bridge at Aberfeldy to Dalnacardoch.
When Taylor and Skinner mapped the roads of North Britain in 1776 (right) it was an inn.
It subsequently became the farmhouse for the farm at Coshieville and a hotel. For a time it served both roles which was how it was when the Dewar family, having sold their blacksmith business in Keltneyburn in 1932, changed careers and moved there to run the hotel and farm.
The 2nd edition O.S. map (left) has been labelled to show the use of the buildings when they were owned by the Dewars.
The only feature missing in the 1st edition O.S. Map, surveyed in 1862, was the new road west from Coshieville and its new bridge over the Keltneyburn.
On the site of the current Coshieville farm buildings was a Farina potato starch mill (photo). Powered by water from the Keltneyburn it produced potato starch.
The mill probably ceased working by 1898. When the building became unsafe it was pulled down leaving a small segment of wall and the dwelling to its east.
The two farm cottages immediately to its north were subsequently combined to form one house which became the farmhouse for Coshieville farm after the hotel was sold to Mr and Mrs Lagowski.
Page last updated - 19/3/15