Aleckich 'The paved ford'
Aleckich was a small farm or township, south of modern day Acharn, east of the Acharn Burn and immediately to the west of the Remony burn (coloured ground in photograph above).
It has had many different spellings e.g. a 1573 charter used the spelling Auchlekhethe.
From the farm, two fords cross the Remony burn and both have smooth stone bottoms. Indeed the name is said to translate to Paved Ford from the gaelic ath, ford and leacach, flagged. A wooden bridge now crosses the burn on the Queen's Drive immediately above the upper ford.
McArthur's 1769 survey (right) shows Aleckich south of Tombea wood (outlined in dark red). The map of all the 'Acharn' farms shows several small crofts to its north by the lochside, Tomgarrow immediately to its west (outlined in light green) and Remony to its east (also outlined in red).
Aleckich is shown on the 1862 OS map. In 1871 two families were living there but no-one was descibed as a farmer, i.e. had rights to farm the land. In one dwelling was David Riddle, an agricultural labourer with his wife and five children and in the other Helen Cameron, a 54 year old outdoor worker, with her elderly mother, her three children and a one year old boarder.
The name 'Aleckich' does not appear in the 1881 census and by the 2nd edition 25" OS map, dated 1898, the buildings had no roofs and the name Aleckich had disappeared.
The only visible remains of its buildings are some stones covered in grass in the wood by the pond but the boundaries of the farm remain unaltered in the present layout of fields.
When McArthur surveyed the farm in 1769, it was rented by three families as was the norm at that time:
- John Anderson
- Isabel MacDougall who had married Alexander Fisher 10 years before.
- Donald MacKercher
The table below lists McArthur's record of Aleckich and his calculation for a new rent. The column for each type of land is headed A, R and F. A = acre. R = rood (quarter of an acre). F = fall (fortieth of a rood or 38.125 sq. yards).
The average size of families around loch Tayside at this time was six so the farm had to support about 18 family members. That number would not have included any cottars or labourers.
In 1793 the tenants were
- John Anderson snr.
- Alexander Fisher
- John Anderson jnr.
- Aleckich from Kenmore Hill with labels.
- Probable ruins of Aleckich in the wood on the east side of the pond which lies to the north of the Queen's Drive / Rob Roy Way.
- Ford from which Aleckich gets its name. Balmacnaughton is in the distance.
- Stone circle off the south western corner of the farm which can be reached by a track which goes south from the Queens Drive before it crosses the Remony burn
- About 3 miles along this track are sheilings presumably used by Aleckich and probably shared with Glenquaich tenants which included Fishers. A short climb up Creag an Sgliata will reveal peat cuttings and a wonderful view north to snow covered Ben Lawers in the west and Schiehallion to the east.
Page last updated - 17/8/15