John MacDonald born 1795
Duncan's son John is the first MacDonald we know much about. There seems to be no OPR for his birth but according to census and family records he was born in Glen Urquhart in 1795 We know from his death certificate that his parents were Duncan MacDonald and Ann Macgregor. His brother and sister's baptisms were recorded:
- 7 Feb.1808 'Duncan born son to Duncan MacDonald of Balnalurge of Inchbrine of Anne MacGregor his spouse was baptised'
- 11May 1815 'Elspet born daughter Duncan MacDonald tenant Balnalurgan by Ann MacGregor his spouse was baptised '.
His address was Balnalung. Flora was born in February 1793 (OPR; Florence daughter to James Grant taylor and Isabel Cameron W'. Inchbrine.)
I guess the Balnalung above was Balnalurigan which was right next door to Balnaglaic. Inchbrine was a neighbouring township.
His 1858 death certificate is an interesting document:
- John was residing in Balnaglaic initially occupied by his wife and working as a common labourer.
- Where was Flora his wife - she was not to die until 14 February 1862?
- His parents are named as Duncan MacDonald and Ann Macgregor.
- Was my great grandfather the Donald who saw him the day before he died ? He was working in London around that time.
- There was no medical attendant yet a diagnosis of acute pneumonia was made.
- The death was reported by his brother Duncan from Balnalurgan who was illiterate, only able to sign his name with a cross, and deemed to be 'not quite present' .
Flora's death certificate confirms that her parents were James Grant and Isabella Cameron. Cause of death 'Decay of nature' of several years duration.
Page last updated - 10/6/13