Helena Margaret Fisher 1918 - 2003

Lena did not have the entrepreneurial drive of her elder brothers. Her passion was sport. Having passed the qualifying exam she entered the higher grade at Breadalbane Academy in September 1930 and left on 1 April 1932, two days after her 14th birthday.

She did not enter the family business but embarked on a career in hotel management.

Her certificate of service shows that in June 1942 she enrolled with the Women's Royal Naval Service and began her duties at Cochrane II naval base in Rosyth. She spent the first year as an M/T driver but thereafter she became a Quarters assistant. Having spent a month at Pembroke III in London, in June 1944, she was posted to Egypt where she served on shore establishments for one year, initially in HMS Nile in Alexandria and then in HMS Stag in Port Said.

In June 1945 she was transferred to HMS Kongoni near Durban where she took six months unpaid leave.

At some stage Lena embarked on a 'penpal' relationship with Leonard Henderson, a clerk with Barclays bank in Rhodesia. Lena never talked about the events that followed but I understand she visited him and shortly afterwards they were married in Fort Jameson, Northern Rhodesia on 22 December 1945.

In January 1946 her unpaid leave ended and she spent six more months in HMS Kongoni. After being transferred back to the UK she was discharged from active service in July 1946.

The marriage did not work out and Lena 'deserted' Leonard on 6 April, 1948 while living in Limbe, Nyasaland. Two years later he filed for divorce and Lena returned to live with her parents in Novar, Aberfeldy. The divorce was granted in July 1950 and in July 1954 she officially resumed her maiden name.

For some years she worked as a house mistress at St Leonard's School in St Andrews until her mother became ill with stomach cancer when she returned to look after her parents. After her mother died in 1957 she stayed in Novar with her father until he died nearly 20 years later. She took over stock control of linen at the laundry in Aberfeldy and worked in the office of the Cupar laundry.

Throughout her life her passion was sport. She was a keen golfer and curler until shortly before her death in 2003.

Page last updated - 21/11/16