Early Fishers (before old parochial records)
Exchequer rolls for 1486
The district which extends from Auchroich burn at Callelochan to the east end of Loch Tay, was anciently known as Eddergoll. This name has been long obsolete, and is entirely unknown on Loch Tayside as a local place name. From the Crown Rental of 1480 we find the district was then divided into Easter end of Eddirgolly, Wester end of Eddirgolly, Killalochane in Eddirgolly, and the Remainder of Eddirgolle. The mill of Eddirgolly is also mentioned. In the Exchequer Rolls for 1486, the name appears as Ardgollane, and the Wester end is described as lying infra torrentes, while Killalochane is referred to as being in Nethergolly, and the mill as de Argolly. In the Chronicle of Fothergill we find other forms of the word :—-"1531, August 11, Death of Duncan Mconnell at Rayn (Remony?) in Eddirzowell, and he was buried in the church of Inchaden at the north end of the Host Choir." " 1556, John Challar Moyr died at Eddergooyllyt on the 27th of September and was buried at Inchaden, on the eve of St. Michael the Archangel"
Eddergoll appears to have been annexed to the Crown at a very early period, and until set in tack and eventually feued out to the lairds of Glenorchy, the lands were held by the different tenants direct of the king.
The following is a list of the crown tenants in 1480, with the amount of rent payable by each:-
|Easter end of Eddirgolly||John Duncanson||£6||0||0|
|Wester End of Eddirgolly||Donald Robertson and his mother Katherine||1||6||8|
|Remainder of Eddirgolly||Makester||0||13||4|
|Mill of Eddirgolly||Donald Makqilquhinye||1||0||0|
The leases of these tenants were of three years duration, and appear to have been renewed for a similar period at the end of the first year.
The above divisions of the land cannot now be localised, but we are inclined to think that Easter end of Eddergoll extended from the east march of Croftnacaber to Allt Mhuicky, and that Wester end of Eddergoll lay betwixt the latter and Acharn burn, while the Remainder of Eddergoll stretched to the east march of Callelochan. In all probability the mill, of which Donald Makgilqnthinye was tenant, would have stood near the site of the present mill, by the side of Acham burn, and on the land which he held, which was in Wester end of Eddergoll, and if we take torrentes to mean the Falls of Acharn, there seems little doubt that Wester Eddergoll was where we conjecture, and that the Remainder of Eddergoll lay to the west of Acharn burn, strange as this may appear. There is no record of any ancient fortalice in the district, but the names, Leod Chastle and Torn Chastle, applied respectively to field and hillock on the farm of Callelochan, would imply that some structure had stood there; and the fact of the majority of the tenants being congregeted in the Remainder of Eddergoll may point to the supposition of their being so placed, to render prompt aid to the occupier of the castle in time of need.
Papers from the Breadalbane Charter Room
Innes's book Kilchurn Heritage, The Black Book of Taymouth with other papers from the Breadalbane Charter Room contains several references to Fishers, recorded as gaelic versions of the name:
In 1621 Archibaldus M'Nesker was a member of a court held at Finlarig (see extract from the Black Book of Taymouth)
A dempster was “The officer of a court, who pronounced doom or sentence definitively, as directed by the clerk or judge”. The role was abolished in 1773.
Page last updated - 17/1/17